2.21.2017

build-a-barn ~ the fun continues

If you read my previous post on trusses, you've picked up on the fact that I am a tad bit obsessed with them. I mean, just look at what they create...the shapes, the shadows, the unlimited possibilities, and you can SEE between them!! Not to mention their real purpose. 

close-up of the peak 
inside the barn, looking straight up the center
bonus points if you spot the crescent moon
The only person more excited about building the barn then me, is Brad. He was out there twice a day in the am & pm, on every possible work day. Checking on progress and keeping a watchful eye. The first week warranted daily visits for me, after that the building changes were less obvious so I didn't go as often.

looking out the horse side of the barn
base of dividing interior wall
Many conversations were had in the open barn that included things like "the _____ will be from about here to here". Of course we did the floor plans together, but I am terrible with full scale dimensions! I just can't visualize large scale things. I'm a details gal. Brad did a lot of explaining and answering questions. To add to my learning curve, support wood was constantly being put up and taken down. I asked a lot of "why is that there?" I have no idea how the builders knew what went where and just when to move what. I am just glad they did, and so efficiently! It must be like assembling a barn sized jigsaw puzzle, where you also configure the pieces.


the ultimate inspector (Brad)
is someone in a related trade
ratchet tie-downs
The builders had strategically anchored ratchet tie-downs. They looked a bit like booby-traps. See that twisted stick? I'm pretty sure if you hit one just wrong you either lose an eye, or it scoops your feet up and you find yourself hanging upside down from the trusses! Ha haa!! Either that, or if you trip the tie-downs the whole barn comes toppling down! That would not be a fun game of pick up sticks!! I was very careful around them.

strategically placed wood
the first pole wall that went up
is still straight as ever
looking up at the center peak

We ran into a few days with less then ideal building weather. Some snow, some rain then ice. Needless to say, the barn site got very slippery! The next time I saw the barn it was dark, and they were framing.

center dividing wall
(iphone pic)
they started putting the metal on
the roof, soffits & sliding door frames

the dividing wall was the first one covered
you can see the sun setting through the door,
and future square stall window

the stall side faces west
 Do you see what I see?
An exposed truss!!!
The front of our barn has an over hang entry. After a lot of thought, we decided it was worth the extra expense. We think it will be an area we use a lot, for pure enjoyment. We wanted some place we could just hang out, near our horses. To take a break from chores or whatever, outside with a cool beverage of choice. Without having to go into the house. We plan to put a couple chairs on the porch, or maybe a bench or...who knows. We haven't gotten that far, still in the dreaming stage...

.......................................................................


View other Build-a-Barn posts to date.



7 comments:

Shirley said...

You are getting to the exciting part! It will really take shape quick once the roof is all on.

Grey Horse Matters said...

It looks terrific! So much fun watching it go up. This is going to be one beautiful barn. I love the overhang too. It will be a great place to hang out. I'd love an overhang on our barn but it's too late for that. I'm hoping one day to put a small bathroom in somewhere. It's a pain to walk back to the house. Good luck with the weather.

Linda said...

Wow! It looks massive! I can't wait to see where you're going with it! I was in such a rush to build ours, I gave it very little thought. :(

C-ingspots said...

It does look huge! Good choice about the overhang, a perfect place for relaxing. It's going up so fast. Before you know it, it will come to life as a home for your horses. A cozy place for rest, comfort and protection.

Mrs Shoes said...

When we built our barn, we installed 4 large skylights; cuts down on the need for using the electric lights. Snow melts pretty fast on our tin roof if the sun if the sun has any strength at all, so it helps even in the winter.

aurora said...

Shirley, the metal sure did give it shape, and fast. I think the interior will be exciting too, but will take longer.

Thanks Arliene (no idea if I'm spelling your name right?!) I hope you get your bathroom, it would be worth it.

Linda, sometimes you just got to get it done. We are able to take our time because we live elsewhere and our horses are in good care.

You have no idea how much we dream about that Lorie. I know it won't all be easy, but it will feel a whole lot better.

Mrs. Shoes, I would absolutely love sky lights!! I've tried (and tried) to talk my hubby into them. He just has the old mindset that "they leak" even tho he knows skylights have improved over the years. When installed properly they don't leak.

Mrs Shoes said...

Our barns been up for 9 years now with nary a leak; as you say, maybe just lucky that they were properly installed, but the natural light is irreplaceable.