9.01.2015

the right direction

Koda continues doing well after his first Shockwave Treatment. He has officially progressed from 15 minutes of hand walking 2X a day, to half day turnout in a small paddock. We all agreed the round pen wouldn't be ideal, for many reasons. Since there were no other smaller options, Brad & I hauled in some of our panels. We got permission to set up a portable paddock in the grass, just for KodaLast weekend was the first time since early June that Koda went outside without being attached to a human.  

Between snorting at anything and everything that didn't move, we had a bit of photo fun on the last day (hopefully!?!) of routine hand walking...

Koda moves slowly

My guy has to keep him on the go

Spotting the cranes in the field

Koda tries to act on it, but get's redirected

A little lunging at the walk,
with light rope entertainment

"Do you see what I have to put up with?"

"First the rope tricks, now he is hiding..."

"Peekaboo, seriously..."

"Thank goodness, we are done walking"

"Did I forget to mention, he sings too"

Koda loves every minute of attention, and pokes at the phone for Brad to turn the music on if he forgets. Apparently Koda has a favorite song that sometimes comes on near the end of their walks, the five minute extended version of the Brothers Osborne song "Stay a Little Longer". I love that song too! Koda knows as long as the music is playing, he get's to be outside. I'm very grateful for the extra care not only Brad, but the gals at our barn have given Koda. They both created a music playlist to walk him. I'm sure he loves music now! The effects of his injury are far from over, but I feel like we are heading in the right direction. 


First time in the temporary paddock.
It's next to the outdoor arena,
within view of his regular pasture & mates.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad he's doing well and finally "out of prison" - if only in a small paddock. He looks pretty content.

aurora said...

Thanks Kate! I thought the paddock would be too limited, but Koda continues to be content. He is in the middle of all the action & turnout pastures, and we are able to rotate the fencing. He see's a lot more then he can through his stall window. I think he is just thrilled to be outside & grazing, and yes - out of prison!

C-ingspots said...

He looks great! So happy to hear he's doing well and is tolerating his confinement. I'm sure it helps being near all the activity and the other horses.

Grey Horse Matters said...

He looks content. I'm sure he's happy to be closer to all the activities and able to graze. Hope he continues doing well.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Gosh he is gorgeous!!! I sure hope he has a complete recovery.I love that he likes the music on his walks