7.26.2015

keeping it real

After close to three weeks, I went to the barn for the first time to see Koda. The steamy, leftover wet weather kept us inside for the most part. It was uneventful, and quiet. I just observed, no handling. Wasn't sure what to expect. It's been so long since I've been there, everything felt odd.

Brad is doing a great job with Koda and coming up with ways to keep things interesting for both of their sake. It's incredibly boring otherwise. Can't imagine what Koda is going through with his dull stalled life. I'm worried about more then his mind, his physique is bulging in places I've never seen before. Guess that happens when you stand around doing nothing 23.5 hours a day, 7 days a week. Food has been adjusted accordingly, he still has to eat and keep his system moving.

Koda's personality hasn't changed, but he looked a bit depressed to me and had to be encouraged to keep pace. Brad got a couple raised ears in key spots, otherwise Koda obliged with what was being asked of him. Of course he is more animated when walked outside, where he usually enjoys his un-jailed time. 

Absolutely love that Brad is mixing things up & giving Koda things to think about! Can't get too active tho, Koda needs to be kept walking calm. Here is a short video of their indoor session walk yesterday...




and some love for a job well done...



Brad & Koda


After that it was outside for a snack, then Nemo & Cierra's time to get a little love too.




6 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I feel so bad for Koda. He must be so bored. I bet he lives for the time he gets to spend outside of his stall. Even though it's the only way for him to heal it's got to be hard on everyone. Any time you can spend with him, grooming, walking or anything else must be much appreciated. When I had a horse on stall rest I used to do massages and also some Reiki. Hang in there.

Shirley said...

How is his prognosis? Does the vet think he will come sound?

aurora said...

Yes, Koda is expected to make a full recovery. It's just going to take a lot of time to heal because the soft connective tissue injury is in his foot. I've been told it can take up to 6-8 months.

C-ingspots said...

Have you considered shockwave treatment for him? It really has great healing benefits and significantly shortens their downtime. At least keep an open mind and ask your vet about it. As in most cases of injury, the quicker you do treatment, the better chance of good, quality healing is expected. Whatever you decide, I hope you and Koda continue to build on your relationship. And, I'm so sorry you got hurt and scared. Hang in there, it sounds like a really long time, but not so bad considering you have so many years ahead of you to enjoy. There's so much more to having a horse in your life, than "just" riding. Opportunity is knocking my friend...

aurora said...

I have asked our vet about alternative care/treatments. He doesn't think anything beside stall rest will be effective because the injury is in his foot, where the ligaments attach. Koda has improved, so I do think the stall rest is effective. It's just so painfully slow...

C-ingspots said...

That is one of the best injuries that shockwave can help. Seriously, ask about it because the vet I work for has done many, many of those. Is it just because he doesn't have the equipment?
Thank you for your comments on my blog! I appreciate them so much!!