8.07.2013

how do they know?

After riding we put Koda & Nemo back into the pasture with Cierra, and this promptly begins...


I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine


...Nemo wants no part of public displays of affection, he is much too dignified...


Nemo, pretending he is not watching

...if you interrupt a grooming session, you get looks like this...


excuse you

...they itch harder, and softer, in unison. Sometimes they move on to different itchy spots. When they are done scratching each other methodically, they look like this...

relaxing together

...but once in a while, when a guy gets reeeally itchy...

Nemo scratchin' on Koda

...they don't care who is watching, and initiate a scratching processional. On this particular day, Nemo started near the top of Koda's tail. I wanted to interrupt the grooming session. I would rather he not chop up the top of Koda's beautiful tail. However I knew as soon as I walked away, it would just start all over again. Who knows, maybe the top of Koda's tail itches? Eventually Nemo moved on to a new itchy Koda spot. The entire time, Koda was scratching Nemo's left hock. My hubby, our trainer & I just stood and watched, in wonder...how do they know where to scratch??

2 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Great Shots!!!
My Mom Always Called It"Reciprocity".
I Think They Either Nibble Lighter Or Harder For" Not Quite Or YES"!

aurora said...

I think you are right Kacy! It sure is interesting to watch.