8.28.2013

as the world turns

This is my year to tackle my endless I really should do, things. One at a time. They won't all get done this year, but some already have. I can't continue just talking about what I want/wish/should be doing. I need to do them. For me. And so, after 10.5 years I resigned from my full-time Marketing position. 

The decision wasn't made lightly, many things factored in. Including my family, who knew long before I did that I should make a change. Not just for me, for them. I needed to take my own sage advice, and be the person of my word. Now I wonder what took me so damn long?

As planned, I enjoyed the second half of summer off. To just be, me. It was bliss! Still is. Yes, I got plenty of raised eyebrows. It's okay, they just don't get it. My plan was not to have one. To be able to figure things out. So why am I telling you all this on an equine blog?

The last horse show I was at, something became apparent. Three people asked me where they could view my photographs. One offered me cash on the spot. I asked her to keep it, until she liked what she saw. So I scrambled, after the fact, to put together a photo website - and Aurora Williamson Photography was launched.

I had already decided not to go back to work for someone else, and re-open my design business. I wanted to give it a new spin. Now I knew what that spin would be, an emphasis on equine photography!

I would love to be able to mesh my previous work experience, with horses. I've thought about it for years, and always been interested in photography. Back in the day, long before the digital age, I almost switched career paths after taking a couple college photography classes. I knew then, and know even more so now, that the world doesn't need another photographer.

I'm not expanding into equine photography for the money. I'm going to pursue it, because I love it. Plans aren't fully developed, and will always be a work in progress. It's how I roll. I have a ton left to learn. I know that, and love learning. It's exciting to be on a new adventure, full of creative possibilities!! I'll be okay if it doesn't work out in the long run. At least I won't be standing still, as the world turns.

patty
Trainer Patty
My favorite shot from photographing my first show.

8 comments:

The Dancing Donkey said...

Congratulations. It must be great to be doing something you really love. If I had any kind of safety net, I'd do the same thing in a heartbeat. Well, not the photography bit, I'd have to actually learn how to use a real camera for that, but you know what I mean:) Good luck and I hope you will keep us posted. A horse blog doesn't have to be all about horses, it's whatever you want it to be.

Anonymous said...

Very cool, and congratulations! Will love to hear how it goes!

Shirley said...

Nice website- and kudos to you for having the guts to make changes and do what you love. It isn't easy giving up security!

Kristen said...

Congratulations! I admire your courage, it takes a lot of guts to leap from the security of a paycheck. I never quite made it there myself... not yet any way :)The photos are gorgeous!

C-ingspots said...

How cool is that!!?? Oh my word...I totally understand where you're coming from!!! Seriously. I am soooo jealous because you're doing what I want to do. Quit working an outside job, or at least a full-time job. Do something that I love, instead of existing just to collect ta paycheck to pay the bills. Not that I don't enjoy my job (some of the time), but I want to be actively enjoying the pursuit of more interesting venues, instead of just wishing, dreaming and watching other people doing it. We only get one life, one chance here to do what we enjoy. Money shouldn't be the be all, end all of our decision-making. Oh, I am so so so happy for you!!! I'm going to hop on over and check out your new website. :) AWESOME!!!!!!

Equestrian Trend said...

Congrats! :)

equestriantrend.blogspot.com

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Congratulations and best of luck on this new venture! Brave lady!
I heard a quote once that said,"chose a job you love and you will never "work a day"

aurora said...

Thank you all! I hope you know how much each one of your comments mean to me, a lot.